Monday, April 20, 2009

Keeping A Quiet Heart


Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite authors. She writes in a way that is raw, exposes truth, all while being touchingly compassionate given all that she has faced in life. She has a book entitled Keep A Quiet Heart, which I highly suggest you have in your library. "Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup, and have made my lot secure." (Psalm 16:5). I often think about that night the disciples were out on the Sea of Galilee and the storm was raging. They were petrified, convinced they would end up on the bottom of the sea. Yet, our Lord was fast asleep, seemingly unaware of the tumultuous storm raging around them. The disciples were angry and shook Him awake with rebuke. How could he sleep through such an event? His heart was quiet as he rested in the calm assurance of the Father. I don't think any of us possess a heart so perfectly at rest, for most don't live in divine unity, however, we can learn more and more each day regarding what Jesus knew. Kierkegaard said that purity of heart is to will one thing. Christ willed only one thing: the will of His Father. Believing that God has assigned me my portion and my cup, knowing my lot is secure in His hands, is there is no greater simplifier of life? Can we say there are things that happen which do not belong to our lovingly assigned portion (this belongs, that does not)? Are some things then, out of the control of the Almighty? I believe every assignment is measured for my eternal good. As I accept certain portions, others are cancelled out (don't mistake what I'm saying to mean that we do not have the ability to exercise free will), and as I accept my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter. My assignment entails my willing acceptance of my portion, whether I like it or not. Our response is what matters, and quietness creeps in when we wholly believe that our portion is in the hands of the Father. God promises that He will comforts us, just as a mother comforts her child (Isaiah 66:13). The choice is ours. I can willingly see God, receive from His hand that which He offers with gratitude. Shall I charge him with a mistake in His measurement or with misjudging the sphere in which I can best learn to trust Him? Has He indeed misplaced me? Is He ignorant of things or people that might hinder my doing His will? No. God doesn't love me because of me, He loves me because He is God.
The secret to accepting my portion and my cup is Christ in me, not a different set of circumstances. "He whose heart is kind beyond all measure, gives unto each day what He deems best, lovingly its part of pain and pleasure, mingling toil with peace and rest" Lina Sandell
Lord, today I'll do my best to accept what is given to me, knowing that your measurement is for my best. I will keep a quiet heart in the assurance that you, my God, offer me all that I need to live day by day. In the moments that the torment and confusion seem to overwhelm me, grant me the peace that Jesus felt that night on the boat. You are indeed, my blessed assurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment